Persistent Memory

Professor Morrow

October 24th, 1924 (Friday)

After the police had left with the remains of Stuart David Cabot Jenkins, we sat back down and tried to finish our long-cold dinner. We stayed up for a while, checking for signs of the parasites inside the house, and talking about the situation.

We finally retired late. Troy and Douglas slept well, but Marion and Clara had a restless night, and awakened early, unrefreshed.

We got an early start, deciding to check Stuart’s room at the Hotel Gibson for more clues about why he was trying to reach Douglas. It’s raining…Marion stashed her scythes under her raincoat, confident that they would go unnoticed.

We arrived at the Hotel without incident. The attendant acknowledged us but didn’t attempt to speak with us, so we headed to room 206.

We knocked first, and when there was no answer, we tried the door. It was locked. We used the key that we had found in Stuart’s pocket and let ourselves in. Troy placed the Do Not Disturb sign on the outside of the door, closed it, and locked it so that we could look around without any surprise interruptions.

The room was fairly tidy. The bed had been slept on, but not in…the comforter and sheets were still pulled up, but rumpled. There were some articles of clothing scattered about.

Clara looked closer at the bed. She noticed some trails of dried mucus on the pillow, which made her think of the horrible way in which Stuart had died. Apparently in his sleep, some of the viscous matter from the parasites had trickled from his nose and mouth.

Troy saw a scuffed and battered suitcase on the floor. Inside was a thick journal/notebook. There was also a .38 Smith & Wesson along with an unopened box of shells. Troy checked the chamber, confirming that the gun didn’t appear to have ever been fired. Troy took the gun and shells to add to our arsenal.

Douglas read the journal. It contained notes from interviews, some in shorthand (which Douglas was able to read). The journal was about 3/4 full.

Douglas passed the journal around to the rest of us:

Clara noticed that the handwriting became noticeably worse…a quick perusal showed that the notes became less coherent towards the end as well. (Pertinent information on handout—please refer to that for detail)

Marion caught the name Hiram Crewe and recognized him as having been a psychic investigator who had basically dropped from public view about a decade before…the name popped up in the journal shortly before Stuart’s notes started to become jumbled and disjointed.

We kept the journal.

One of the pieces of clothing in the room was a coat that had been draped over the back of a couch. In the pocket was a receipt for a Western Union Wire Transfer from Forest Grove, OR to Marquette, MI in the amount of $250.00. Douglas recognized Marquette as being located on the Upper Peninsula. We deduced that the wire probably accounted for the sequential bank notes that Troy and Douglas had found in Stuart’s wallet (20 $10.00 bills).

We decided we needed to find out who L Morrow was, and also find out more about Stuart Cabot Jenkins and Hiram Crewe.

Douglas headed to the newspaper office while the rest of us tracked down the cabbie who had dropped Stuart off at our house.

We were able to locate and speak to the cabbie, but he didn’t have anything enlightening to share: he stated that he had been unnerved by Stuart’s appearance and behavior, that he had offered to take Stuart to a hospital, but that Stuart had insisted on going to our residence.
Stuart hadn’t left anything in the cab, either.

We then decided to go to the library.

In the meantime, Douglas was at the newspaper office, following a different tack. He contacted a paper in Green Bay. They knew Stuart as a free-lance journalist who had worked for their publication from time to time and had also contributed articles about supernatural and paranormal subjects to tabloids that dealt in that kind of thing; they also stated that Stuart usually played it as a skeptic, being the type to debunk hoaxes or find natural explanations for eerie occurrences.

He also asked about Crewe…the person at the paper recognized him, and said that Stuart had not been a fan of Crewe.

While at the library, Marion decided to call Margaret in Seattle and see if she had any information to share regarding Crewe, Stuart, or the publications to which Stuart contributed.

Margaret was delighted to hear from Marion. She remembered Crewe’s reputation. She also recognized Stuart and stated that he was a regular contributor to the Journal of Scientific Exploration and The Anomalist, among others. She mentioned that she had some copies of those magazines if Marion would like to borrow them.

Marion told her what had happened to Stuart. Margaret was understandably shocked, and believed Stuart’s death to be the result of a curse.

The two women made plans (a date) for the next day and Margaret promised to bring all the publications she had with articles by Stuart, as well as some Scotch.

Meanwhile, Douglas looked into L Morrow. He turned up an article about a Mayoral Election that took place several years ago. One of the speakers at the victory dinner was a Professor Lester Morrow of Pacific University in Forest Grove. Douglas found out that Morrow was a professor of Statistical Mechanics (Physics), and a veteran of the Great War. Douglas located a photograph of Morrow in a periodical from Pacific University. He had a round face, with a forced smile, and a fringe of hair surrounding a bald pate (like Friar Tuck, only less jovial). From the way Professor Morrow’s left shoulder appeared, Douglas deduced that he was missing that arm. Morrow’s age was hard to determine.

One of the things Marion was able to glean from Stuart’s writing was that the King in Yellow was an avatar for a god. Which one was unspecified, and Marion decided to look into it later.

We met back up and shared our findings, then decided to make a day trip to Forest Grove so that we could meet Professor Morrow and hopefully find out why Stuart was trying so hard to get to Douglas.

The trip down was uneventful. We stopped at the Silver Twilight Lodge. There wasn’t anything happening. We saw a sign for a presentation by Professor Graham to be given the next night. There was a 50-something woman in the common room, reading a book. Otherwise the place was empty. We went upstairs to show Marion the mural, but the doors to the room were locked.

We then moved on to the university. We located Professor Morrow, who was wrapping up a lecture to a class of about 40 students. We couldn’t understand anything he was saying.

When the students had all filed out, we spoke to Professor Morrow. He recognized Douglas. He also knew our names through “The Group.” -Silver Twilight.

He told us that he and Stuart had come from the same area, but hadn’t known each other until they were shipped out of Troy, Michigan to serve as marines in Russia during the Great War.

We then broke the news to him about Stuart’s death. He was shocked. Explained he had advised Stuart to meet up with Douglas after he had read Douglas’ articles about New Mexico and Skookum Lake.

He had expected Stuart to come see him first, though, as he had wired the money to Stuart for his travel expenses.

We showed him the journal. He read through it with a somewhat flat affect. We were a little surprised that he didn’t react more to what he read, but felt that this might be because his experiences in the war had perhaps desensitized him.

We discussed it with him for a little while. We had all come to the same hypothesis that Stuart had been infected with the parasite while staying at the Martensen house, most likely when he had been unconscious in the cellar.

After more discussion, we left Professor Morrow and headed back to Portland.


thrummycap neddyseagoon

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.